Having read several times now that you can’t upgrade Windows 7 from BETA to RC1, I decided it would be a good idea to post the “how-to” instructions. Obviously many people are confused here.
To upgrade from beta you need to:
- Extract the .iso contents to a storage location you wish to run the upgrade from (a bootable flash drive or a directory on any partition on the machine running the old build).
- Browse to the sources directory.
- Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor like Notepad.
- Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7100 to 7000.
- Save the file in place with the same name.
- Run setup.exe like you would normally and the version check will be bypassed.